Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Shock and Awe: September 18, 2006, Padres vs. Dodgers

by Doug Silversten

This week's Wild-Card Wednesday is going to be short, because I am in awe and I don't know what to say. Given the circumstances, perhaps the greatest regular season game EVER was played on Monday night, and I feel it is not getting the attention it deserved. After a great regular season game, my father always comments to me, "If that was played in the postseason, they would be talking about it forever." Well folks, if Monday's match-up between the Dodgers and Padres was played in the postseason, I honestly think it would immediately become the greatest postseason game ever. The Buckner game? Kirk Gibson? Carlton Fisk? Aaron Boone? Eh, great games, but second class citizens to this gem.

As for regular season games, the only one that immediately comes to mind is the Bobby Thomson game in 1951 (which was technically a regular season game, even if the last of a 3-game playoff). And considering it sent the Giants right into the postseason, I guess that would still be tops.

I guess. But I am not so sure.

Think about it. 1/2 game division lead. 2 weeks to go. The home team, who trails by that 1/2 game, trails by 4 in the last of the ninth. Then this results:

Bottom of the 9th:
Jon Adkins pitching:
Jeff Kent: Ball, Kent homered to center.
J.D. Drew: Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Drew homered to right.
Trevor Hoffman relieved Jon Adkins.
Russell Martin: Martin homered to left center.
Marlon Anderson: Anderson homered to right.

8 pitches. 4 Homeruns. The last three coming on three consecutive pitches. Shock. And. Awe.

But wait! There's more. Hoffman settles down, gets out of the inning. Padres score in the top of the 10th and take the lead. If the Padres win, the 4 HRs become a footnote.

But the baseball gods don't have any of that.

Bottom of the 10th:
Rudy Seanez pitching:
Kenny Lofton: Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Strike swinging, Ball, Lofton walked.
Nomar Garciaparra: Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Garciaparra homered to left, Lofton scored

Absolutely amazing. I feel this game isn't getting the attention it deserved. It should still be the lead story on Sportscenter. If you were there, keep your stub. I have a feeling we will be talking about this one for, well, forever.

Is baseball the greatest game in the world or what? Wow.

"Wild-Card Wednesdays" appears alternate Wednesdays

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"I've had a pretty good success facing Stan (Musial) by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third base."
- Carl Erskine