Wednesday, June 14, 2006

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Fall in Love with Corey Patterson

by Doug Silversten

As commissioner of my fantasy baseball league, it is my duty and privilege to communicate the final standings and congratulate the winner in a group email at the end of the season. At the end of the 2004 season, I had the pleasure of writing these beautiful words:

"In first place, winning $300, is.....me!"

Yes, I, Doug Silversten, was fantasy champion for 2004.

This moment is a close second in my list of "The Proudest Moments of My Life" behind the day I married my beautiful and lovely wife, Sarah….who is standing over my shoulder as I write this.

Phew…she’s gone. Who am I kidding…winning Fantasy is definitely #1. No comparison. And if you have won before, you know exactly what I mean. And if you think I am pathetic that winning my fantasy league was the best day of my life, you either have never played in a competitive fantasy league or you have, and are just jealous that you have never won yourself.

Later in my victory email, I wrote these words:

"I personally would like to thank Johan Santana (my 5th pick overall) for making this day possible. God bless him..."

And I meant it. I seriously considered sending him a note with some of my winnings. While I do take credit for expertly managing my team, Johan made the victory possible.

This year has been a struggle, but I somehow find myself in contention. And if I manage to pull off a miracle, I already know who my new savior is…

God Bless You Corey Patterson.

In late April, my team was really down in the dumps….just like our hero Corey Patterson. I was near the bottom of the pack, in dead last in several categories. I had some reason for optimism in some categories, but with Willy Taveras not running and Loco Coco Crisp hurt, I was in bad shape. But then, a gift from the Gods. Corey Patterson was….dropped! Yes, that’s right, the player who has personally saved my fantasy season from oblivion is a player I didn’t even draft! I can’t tell you how satisfying that is. It’s like winning the lottery from a ticket you found in the street.

I took a chance on Corey, and Corey has not disappointed. He must have been infuriated by fellow Baseball For Thought columnist Matt Sandler tossing him aside, because he suddenly became a fantasy stud. He began running like Forrest Gump, and thanks to the speed demon, I find myself near the top of the standings.

I do not know what the future will hold. My team is certainly capable of a complete collapse. However, thanks to Corey, I have the final 3 ½ months of the fantasy season to look forward to. And if the stars are aligned and I have a little luck, maybe another happy ending is in store. And Corey, if you are reading this, I just want to let you know that if that miracle occurs, expect a check in the mail...

"Wild Card Wednesdays" appears every Wednesday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"I've had a pretty good success facing Stan (Musial) by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third base."
- Carl Erskine