Sunday, February 19, 2006

Last Hurrah?

According to USA Today, Barry Bonds told the paper that he will be done after this upcoming 2006 season.

"I'm not playing baseball anymore after this. The game (isn't) fun anymore. I'm tired of all of the crap going on. I want to play this year out, hopefully win, and once the season is over, go home and be with my family. Maybe then everybody can just forget about me."

Ok Barry, whatever you say. I don't think anyone is going to forget about you though. It looks like Bonds' plan is to surpass Ruth and let Aaron hold on to the HR crown. No matter what your opinion of Bonds and the steroids story, I hope you still manage to appreciate his greatness. His B-Ref page has more bolding and highlights than a pre-med's textbook. And imagine what his numbers would look like if he didn't become a walking machine in his later years. To help put his major league walks record into perspective, just think that he has more walks than Hall of Famers Joe Dimaggio, Willie Stargell, Johnny Mize, Duke Snider, Harmon Killebrew or Willie McCovey had hits! Amazing. So, if this is indeed his last season, enjoy every moment...we may never again see a player dominate a sport like he did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A colossal a**hole (and probable steroid user) with colossal numbers. Always a sight to behold on the field, if more than a bit of a mess off of it. I plan to enjoy the Barry show to the fullest while it lasts. The question that remains, however, is which Barry history will remember, and how much that will affect the voters come 2012.

Sunday, February 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonds is my hero. But getting into the whole drug issue - why don't people in the professional workforce use things like greenies or andro? i wonder what the prevalence rate is.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"I've had a pretty good success facing Stan (Musial) by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third base."
- Carl Erskine