Friday, September 15, 2006

Unless you can take a Subway to Detroit, I opt to skip another Subway Series

by Rob Hyman

Unlike many of the Mets fans who write for Baseball For Thought, I'm not a Yankee hater by any means. I don't root for them, but I don't root against them either. To me, they are just another team in the American League - a league that I pay much less attention to.

So when I say I do not want the Mets and Yankees to play in the World Series, it's not because I don't want the Yankees to make it for any spiteful reasons. I'd just rather see another team in the spotlight.

Here are my Top 5 reasons that I don't want to see the Mets play the Yankees in the World Series:

1) It's the Mets' turn to own the city. For once it would be nice if New York could focus its energy on the Mets. They're always in the background and regardless of what happens this season, they'll continue to be. But for a couple of weeks, it would be nice if the Yanks weren't even a topic of discussion. The Mets most recent post-season run became less about them and more about the Yankees and the Subway Series. All that extra attention is a distraction from what the World Series is supposed to be.

2) As someone who is not in favor of a salary cap, having a mid- to low-range salary team make the World Series helps to prove the point that a salary cap is not necessary. The competitive balance in baseball is just fine without it. At the same time, the Yankees not making the World Series helps prove that there are diminishing returns to spending money on talent. The Detroit Tigers, Minnesota Twins and Oakland A's are 14th, 19th and 21st in team payroll respectively.

3) There are some real superstars west of the Hudson river that get little national exposure. The Twins' Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau are two of the best hitters in the game today, but who in New York has heard of them? Then there's Detroit's pitching staff of Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Robertson. This trio could become a dominant force for years to come and it would be great for them to be able to shine on a national spotlight.

4) The Mets, as any home team does, deserves to have 100% of the crowd behind them at their home games. If there's a Subway Series, there will inevitably be a 50/50 split in the crowd.

5) Okay so the biggest reason that I don't want the Mets to play the Yankees is very simply - the Mets will lose in six games.

And unfortunately, I think that is just what is going to happen.

Rob Hyman's column, "The Weekend Warrior", appears alternate Friday's.

1 Comments:

Anonymous LH said...

GO METS!!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"I've had a pretty good success facing Stan (Musial) by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third base."
- Carl Erskine