Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Lost Weekend

by Sarah (The Fanatic's Wife)

The Fanatic’s Wife offers a reality check to those men all wrapped up in fantasy.

Doug loves Fantasy Baseball. He counts down the days to his drafts, studies his websites and fantasy projections, and makes complicated spreadsheets that will help him put together the best possible team. I try to distract him with the whole nudity thing...hopeless. All this hard work and obsessive behavior comes down to a weekend that I lovingly refer to as "the lost weekend."

It is lost to Doug, to me, and frankly, it is lost to any shred of reality. These men sit around for hours drafting players who they will "manage" for the season. When we watch games that Doug’s players are in, he often yells at the players as if they can hear him though the screen ("Throw strikes! Keep that WHIP down!"). I glance over at him and shake my head...IT’S NOT REAL! His "team" doesn't exist anywhere but on Yahoo Fantasy Sports. Sometimes I think that serious fantasy players forget this incidental fact.

So what is a girl to do when the man in her life is off in this surreal male bonding ritual? Doug's mom, my sister-in-law, and I strongly believe in the benefits of the most real place we know: the mall. There's nothing like a credit card bill to make someone get back to reality.

Fantasies are healthy. I have one that I will walk into our apartment after a long day of work and find that Doug has a home cooked meal waiting for me. But alas, I highly doubt that this fantasy will ever come true. So for six months, I guess I can let Doug live out his fantasies of managing a Major League Baseball team. But guys remember: your fantasy players will never hear you screaming at them through the screen, will never know if you’re playing or benching him. Every once in a while, forget the fantasy and pay attention to reality (where women live!).


Wild Card Wednesdays appear every Wednesday

2 Comments:

Anonymous Janet said...

Loved your article. Had alot of laughs. Wish I could write that well. There are many things I could add about Doug and Scott and their father.

Thursday, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

baseball cafe fantasy forumAny one using the phrase "easy as taking candy from a baby, has never tried taking candy from a baby before.baseball cafe fantasy forum

Monday, September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"I've had a pretty good success facing Stan (Musial) by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third base."
- Carl Erskine